Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Not Cool

So far it's been a rather dismal year for cool-season edibles. We went from winter straight to mid-80s summer conditions (which was tough on my seedlings), back to rain and cold (which they survived, but it inhibited their growth), back again to hot, humid summer.
 Most of my lettuce seedlings fizzled, and the broccolis aren't going anywhere. I did get a couple small heads of Tom Thumb butterhead and a few Rough D'Hiver romaines may make it. But most will bolt or wilt before reaching full size. What's worse, my cilantros are stunted by all the heat and may be too small to bolt into the pretty white umbels that give them their second life in the garden.

On the bright side, I'm hoping for a banner year for heat-loving vegetables, like tomatoes, chili peppers, and squash. How have your cool-season veggies done?

2 comments:

garden girl said...

I took a chance since March was so warm, and planted a lot. We've had record numbers of peas, and the greens have done well too. Some of it's bolting, but since most of the greens are getting just morning sun, overall they're doing well. I have had to water, but I think the early start helped stuff get a good foothold in spite of the heat. I don't usually have to start watering the veggies until July. :(

On the down side, I only got three cucumber seedlings to sprout. I don't know what was up with that!

Rose said...

I was disappointed with my spinach this year, too, and what there is of it has bolted now. I've gotten some greens--a mesclun mix--but they're not doing well now either.

I'm with you--I hope the tomatoes and other warm-season vegetables make up for the early poor showing in the veggie garden.

You May Also Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails